Shadows and Light

Shadows and Light-The eerie scene in one of the many buildings making up the SCI Cresson Correctional Facility. Cresson Sanatorium was located on lands donated by Andrew Carnegie in 1910. The sanatorium opened in 1913 as a hospital and long-term residential care facility to treat individuals and families who had tuberculosis. Treatment at “The San” could take anywhere from several months to years, and a graveyard at the site preserves those who passed away there. Cresson Sanatorium remained a treatment facility for those with tuberculosis and other health conditions until 1956 when it was incorporated into Lawrence F. Flick State Hospital as a center for patients with mental illnesses. Finally, in 1983, it was converted into a State Correctional Institution at Cresson, which remained open until 2013. 

Thanks for stopping

Leave a Reply

Shadows and Light