Max’s- Chene Street, East Detroit
The burnt out shell of what used to be a high-end jewelry store in a once bustling shopping area in Detroit. Max’s opened in 1927 the building featured a large marquee with Max’s sprawling down the sides and two clocks facing each way down the street. At the time this area was home to a number of Jewish-owned businesses, including grocery stores, restaurants, and clothing stores.
Driving down Chene Street these days feels like something out of a movie, with very few storefronts remaining and even fewer of those remaining still open for business. Around 2012, a fire tore through Max’s empty storefront, leaving the property in full disrepair. In 2016 Max’s was a filming location for ‘Transformers: The Last Knight,‘ which added vintage, albeit fake, ghost signs on its north outer-wall for a 3-hour dry cleaner and the E. Donaldson auto-mechanic shop.
Thanks for stopping