Roy’s Motel & Cafe opened as a gas and service station in 1938, on Route 66. It was first known as Roy’s Garage, then was changed to Roy’s Garage and Cafe, and is now known as just Roy’s Motel & Cafe. Roy’s son-in-law Buster decided to build a store room next to the garage to keep spare parts. Roy’s daughter Betty then turned the store room into a Cafe, right after it was built. The famous Roy’s Motel & Cafe is one of the few buildings that are still operating in 2025. Roy and his wife Velma operated Roy’s until they retired in 1959. Roy’s Motel & Cafe was later owned by his daughter Better and his son in law Buster through 1959 to 1978. In 2003, Roy’s Motel & Cafe was sold to a philanthropist by the name of Albert Okura.
Our crew had a great time wandering around Amboy and photographing this great old town along Route 66.
Thanks for stopping
